Sunday, April 27, 2008

sleeping bag/stove update

Me and Zach made the drive to Johnson City, TN (a beautiful drive actually) on friday in search of Western Mountianeering sleeping bags. Our trip was partially successful, even after our extreme annoyance that the Pizza Hut in Elizabethton calls itself "Pizza Hut: Italian Bistro" ( I mean really?). We did find WM sleeping bags but not the one I've been looking at. However, I did crawl into one that had the same height and specs as the Versalite. The regular size height (6') was a perfect fit. Unfortunately the girth was a little big for me to heat on cold Appalachian nights, since your body is what actually keeps you warm (the bag just holds your heat in). The sales guy and i both decided something in hight 50" range was more what i needed (perhaps you haven't noticed but I'm a little on the scrawny side), whereas the Versalite is roughly 64" in girth at the shoulders. luckily I discovered that the Western Mountaineering Apache MF come in a 15 degree rated bad with a 59" girth at the shoulders ( I really really need a tape measure!). So it is possible that the Apache accompanied by a lightweight bagliner would serve me really well, as it is the same weight as the Versalite and about $50 cheaper. The trip was not wasted though, I came home with a new stove. This was not the Jetboil I intended to go with but operates on roughly the same concept. I got the MSR Reactor which packs into its own stove like the Jetboil at only 5 oz. more. The reactor does have a larger pot which lessens the possibility of boil over and also allows you to pack a larger fuel canister. The coolest thing is that the Reactor doesn't even have a flame, it works a lot like a space heater. Sounds weird I know but here's a video demonstration .

No comments: